Friday, June 8, 2012

The Tale of Doc and Marty


The Tale of Doc and Marty

About 1 & ½ years ago, 2 little male domestic kittens approximately 6 months old were found by Mrs Parker on her property.  Luckily Mrs Parker is a Cooinda customer & brought them to the cattery.  Jill, the owner of Cooinda decided to keep them at the cattery & try to find a home for them herself.  They were named by Mrs Parker as Fluffball & Tiger 2.  They were a bit worse for wear, matted fur, under-nourished & scared.  I remember Jill referring to them as ‘the feral's'.  We kept them in the fernery apartments in the cattery & all the kitty carers spent time with them to get them used to ‘us humans’.

Jill spread the word to people who may be interested that there were 2 kittens looking for a home.  She had a few interested people but after a month they were still with us.  I started thinking.....the reason I hadn’t got myself a cat was because I felt bad it would be alone all day in my small unit while I was at work.  And at the time I had no outdoor access. But as there were 2 of them, I thought, at least they would have each other to keep them company.  After a few days of thinking I decided yes I would take them. And I’m so glad I did because they have become 2 such beautiful boys.

I renamed them Doc & Marty after my favourite movie ‘Back to the Future’.  So once they were micro-chipped & de-sexed I took them home.  Of course they were scared in their new surroundings & found the laundry basket or under the bed the perfect hiding places.  After a good 3 months they were finally settled & happy in their new home. Of course, being kittens, they were getting up to mischief. I would often come home & find broken ornaments, books on the floor etc.  But they slowly grew out of that and now are both ‘fairly’ well behaved boys.

I had a cat door installed in my spare bedroom & a few months later a run was built for them in my backyard so they can go in & out as they please.  They love to sleep outside on a hammock that a friend and I had made for them.  It sits up nice & high, right near the neighbors trees, where the birds love to ‘tease’ my boys. Doc & Marty also like to have the occasional peep next door to see what’s going on.

They are quite different in their ways, Doc is more outgoing & loves sleeping on the beanbag, and Marty is a bit shy & loves to sleep on the couch.  They both love to sit on the kitchen stools at the kitchen bench.  Doc is a real character & I often think he is ‘part human’. He loves to sit on the kitchen stools with his front paws on the bench.  He makes the funniest poses & has turned into a big fluffy spunk.  Marty is a real mummy’s boy, follows me around, loves to sleep on my lap & smooches my face. He is my ‘little monkey’ as he is slender & has a long tail & reminds me of a monkey.  And Doc is my ‘miniature pony’ as he loves to smooch my legs & does little pony leaps across my legs.  Marty loves sitting in my bedroom window & watches the birds, he loooooves birds!  They love to play fight in the afternoon sunshine coming into the family room & of course sleep, eat, sleep & eat.
 
I’m so glad I was able to give a home to my boys.  I know they are happy & they make me happy & keep me company.  They are now 2 years, 4 months old & have made my little unit a home. I love them as they are my children.

 
Katie Taccarino
Kitty Carer
Cooinda Cat Resort


No comments:

Post a Comment